Okay- I've come to terms with the fact that when it comes to children's books it's often all about the illustrator. Sometimes it's going to be "illustrator of the month". I grew up poring over many of the Little Golden Books illustrated by Eloise Wilkin. In many ways they sum up childhood for me. They helped me envision what I wanted my own family to be like one day. I simply cannot leave her out.Some fascinating things I learned about Mrs. Wilkin:
- She was an award winning baseball player.
-Jane Werner Watson, author of many of the books she illustrated said that Eloise was "the soul of Little Golden Books". I agree.
-She illustrated paper dolls early in her career.
-She often used family members as models.
-She revised some of her work as society evolved. For a re-print of a book of prayers that had originally shown only Caucasian children she altered it to portray children of many races. A picture that had originally shown an infant sleeping on her stomach was changed with a re-release in the 70's as there was an increase in awareness about Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
- She was a devout Christian who often illustrated books of prayers for children.
-She grew up in New York City but spent her summers in rural western New York state. The rural setting and domestic environs influenced her illustrations later in life.
Now, you can find some books with her illustrations at the library. My absolute favorites are a little harder to find. I will review some of both and let you know if it's worth trying to track them down on ebay or in your grandma's attic.
No comments:
Post a Comment