Saturday, December 24, 2011

25 days of Christmas books (part 5, finale)

Dec. 21 "The First Night" by B.G. Hennessy, paintings by Steve Johnson with Lou Fischer. Once again beautiful illustrations. Sweet simple re-telling of the birth of Christ. I would really like to find more versions of Luke 2 that I really love. I've found them somewhat difficult to find (ones that I love) so if anyone out there reads this and has some suggestions PLEASE share them with me.
Dec. 22 "The Littlest Angel" by Charles Tazewell. This is another that reminds me of my childhood. More so the pictures than the story. We did more perusing on our own than being read to in our home. My mom is wonderful but she's one of those who doesn't stop moving long enough to read (for herself or others, she does best with books on tape so that her hands can keep moving). This is such a cute story about giving gifts, as well.
Dec. 23 "A Christmas Like Helen's" by Natalie Kinsey-Warnock, illustrated by Mary Azarian. This is a great story for helping kids understand what Christmas was like 100+ years ago. A lot went in to making Christmas special. It was a year-long undertaking. I also appreciate the fact that the author lives at her family's ancestral farm (I think in Vermont?). This is a great one to read before heading out to a local heritage/historic park that does a Christmas event. You could even look for someone who does sleigh rides in your area!
Dec. 24 "The Night Before Christmas" by Clement C. Moore. I don't think this one requires much of an introduction. There are over 400 editions of this classic Christmas poem. Not wanting to sort through and find one of the editions that I owned I just picked a pretty cover and called it good. What is your favorite illustrated version of "The Night before Christmas"?
Dec. 25 "The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey" by Susan Wojciechowski, illustrated by P.J. Lynch. I debated over whether or not to just do Luke 2 on Christmas day. I decided, wanting to include as many books as possible, to do both. I chose this book for Christmas day because 1. I love it and 2. It can be followed, quite poignantly, by a reading of Luke 2. In fact, I would dare to venture a guess that my children will listen more intently to the scripture after hearing this sweet story. Tomorrow I'll find out... Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment