Dec. 16 "The Snowman" by Raymond Briggs. Since this book doesn't actually have words (and the version that does is shorter) we watch the movie. It's only about 15 min. long. I used to watch this on film in school as a child so it really brings back memories. The song that goes along with the movie is so pretty and peaceful. It really introduces a wonderful spirit into the home.
Dec. 17 "The Little Match Girl" by Hans Christian Anderson, adapted and illustrated by Jerry Pinkney. I am really sad that this was the biggest picture I could find for this book. The pictures are really moving and perfectly fitting to the subject matter. If you are not familiar with this story it is sad, yet hopeful. I like for my children to be dosed with a little piece of reality during this often very self-centered Holiday season.
Dec. 18 "The Story of Holly and Ivy" by Rumer Godden, illustrated by Barbara Cooney. This is an adorable little story about two souls who are lonely and find each other. This story is a bit long which is why I saved it for a Sunday afternoon. It's hard for very little ones to sit through so this would be a good time for everyone to snack on some of the treats that inevitably appear at this time of year!
Dec. 19 "The Gift of the Magi" by O. Henry, illustrated by Lisbeth Zwerger. I actually have two versions of this story. O. Henry's version is a little bit wordy for small children so I like to read an adapted version which has not been attributed to anyone and I can't find it's picture on-line. Anyway- a MUST at Christmas in my opinion. We used to watch a short version of this when I was little that was black and white, it must have been made in the 40's. I planned to read this on Monday night and then deliver cookies to the neighbors, etc. It's not giving away our most prized possession, but still this book can get us in the mood to give.
Dec. 20 "Bear's First Christmas" by Robert Kinerk, illustrated by Jim LaMarche. Seriously. The. Best. Illustrated. Books. Are. Christmas. Ones. Period. I feel like a broken record gushing over each of these books and how lovely the illustrations are but it's really true! This is a fun rhyming story to read and "Bear" just couldn't be cuter. Really. You can see for yourself (why is there no arrow button??? Insert arrow pointing up here).
No comments:
Post a Comment