
#1 I was torn over whether to say author of the month or illustrator. From what I gather David Melling thinks of himself more as an illustrator than an author... but he also writes and what I've read is delightful.
#2 I'm taking a small leap in the dark here. I do have several authors in the back of my mind for future authors of the month who I am more familiar with. BUT, we have LOVED David Melling's "The Kiss That Missed" for many years now. It has been one of those that we never want to return to the library, we renew it the optimum amount of times and then when returning it I always ask myself "Why have we not bought this book yet???" SO... I am going to take a chance. We have checked out all the books we can get our hands on by him and will be reading them this month for the first time! I hope you will join us. If "The Kiss That Missed" is any indication we are in for a big treat!
Okay- I took a break for a minute to watch some videos on his website. It was definitely worth my time. If you are fascinated by what goes into illustrating OR if you enjoy a British accent regardless of the topic you should check these out. (the star faced crocodile was my favorite video, but I'm glad I watched them sequentially) I find that it helps me have more enthusiasm when I read if I know more about the author and I hope I can pass on an interest in authors/illustrators to my children. It's great for them to know that these books don't magically appear in front of us, but that someone has put a great deal of work into creating something that can entertain us. In fact, that's part of the reason I started doing these author of the month posts . I have found that my children (at least my oldest) is more familiar with certain authors now.
PS. If you are heading over to watch the videos now just a heads up- they take a few seconds to load and if you are as impatient as I am you will pause the video, surf the web elsewhere for a moment, and then come back to it... it doesn't take long, really, I am just THAT impatient.
No comments:
Post a Comment