Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Brightening my winter days


I LOVE the Zuppa Toscana from Olive Garden. About two years ago I realized that I was going there mainly for the soup and it was costing us a fortune! Quickly I began my on-line search for a comparable recipe. I struck gold with this one:

Zuppa Toscana

1 lb. ground Italian sausage 10 cups water

1 ½ tsp. crushed red peppers 5 cubes chicken bouillon

1 large diced white onion 1 cup heavy cream

4 T bacon pieces 1 lb. sliced russet potatoes (approx. 3 large)

2 tsp. garlic puree ¼ of a bunch of Kale

Saute sausage and pepper in a large pot. Drain excess fat and refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients. In the same pan sauté garlic, onions and bacon for approx. 15 minutes or until onions are soft. Mix bouillon and water and then add to pot. Cook until boiling. Add potatoes and cook until soft (about 30 min.) Add onions 15 minutes in. Add heavy cream and cook until heated through. Stir in sausage. Add Kale just before serving.

This was the first recipe I tried and it is spot on. I double this recipe because my husband and I scarf this soup up! It is wonderful whether you are feeling sneezy, wheezy, chilled or in tip-top shape. And the best part: it is inexpensive and VERY easy to make. When I double the recipe I use the whole bunch of Kale (love it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment