Monday, January 7, 2013

January Author of the Month: Mo Willems

I love it! Who wouldn't like this man??? We have been fans of the pigeon books and elephant and piggie for some time now so when I saw this picture I thought, "Yep, that seems about right." Here is Mo Willems website where you can get to know him even better. Some interesting things I learned about Mo: He was a writer and animator on Sesame Street from 1993-2002 where he won 6 Emmys for writing. He has won Caldecott Honors for Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus (one of our favorites), Knufflebunny: A Cautionary Tale & Knufflebunny Too: A Case of Mistaken Identy. Also, his birthday is February 11th!!! No wonder he seems to be such a fantastic person, all of us February birthdays are (with a wink and a smile).
My girls love Mo Willem's humor. They have both been found rolling on the floor (I'm not kidding... literally rolling on the floor) as I've read them his books. Somehow we have missed out on "Knufflebunny" and his "Cat the cat" series. We'll be checking out what we can get our hands on of those this month as well as some of the "pigeon" and "elephant and piggy" books that we have not yet read and of course some that we already know and love. Please join us if you would like. I'm sure we'll be checking them out for several months since Ginny is nearing (and I'm being optimistic when I say "nearing") the end of Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. There are many easy readers that I love, partly because I grew up with them. However, I think these are more popular with my children than the tried and true because of the pictoral nature of the humor. Although, I'd have to say Mercer Mayer falls into that category as well. We'll see you soon for our end of the month update with our picks and pans.

1 comment:

  1. What?!?!?! You've never read Knuffle Bunny?!?!?! That's the book that made us fall in love with Mo Willems. (Before that, we'd only read Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus...which I didn't love...but don't worry...now I do!). Anyway, I think you will like all three of them.

    Maxwell can't get enough of Elephant and Piggie. Over the break, we took two of them home to Colorado (Let's Go For a Drive and We Are in a Book), and practically everyone in my family had to take a turn reading them because they all thought they were so funny.

    Aaron and I often read the Elephant and Piggie books together - he reads one of the characters and I read the other. They are great because they're not too long and really fast paced.

    ReplyDelete