Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Free Range cont'd

So I was thinking I would do a post of the challenges given at the end of each chapter. I decided all it was doing was reassuring me that I am doing okay in this area. I think I know what to do to keep my kids relatively safe and still allow them to have a childhood... to learn from hands on experiences. I realize that I can't control everything. I have never bought lots of baby-proofing products. I don't get sucked into the scary shows on TV, for that matter I barely watch TV unless there is a presidential race on. Even then if they change to a story about a missing child I either change the channel or turn it off. I always knew the urban legends about Halloween were just that... legends. I don't buy into everything the "experts" say. I think I can figure out what advice is sound and I still follow my own instincts about my kids first. After all, who knows them better than I do. I certainly don't hover over my children.

I do think it was beneficial to read this book. I decided to let my kindergartner walk home from school with her older cousins this past week. I think it has been wonderful for all four of them. I met them at school and walked home with them on Friday. During the walk they were really excited to share all of the adventures that they've had!!! Not only am I letting my daughter feel a sense of accomplishment at walking home without me and getting some exercise to boot I'm also allowing her to create some really fun childhood memories. Way better than the ones made riding home in the car!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment